Position: Head of Technical Services
Location: Washington County Public Library, Main library, Abingdon, VA
Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
The Washington County Public Library (WCPL) seeks an innovative and collaborative team leader as its Technical Services Librarian. This person assures that the department executes tasks according to nationally accepted cataloging standards and works well in a close team environment. This position includes planning, developing and coordinating services and resources related to cataloging, classification and physical preparation of materials for use by patrons. The ability to work collaboratively as a member of an integrated library system consortium is essential. As a member of the library’s team of eight professional librarians, the successful candidate will be a part of the administrative team and will participate in systems administration, public service and collection development activities.
Washington County Public Library has five branches; over forty full and part-time staff. The library’s collection is 142,851, the materials budget is $170,000+ , and approximately 20,000 items are added and withdrawn each year. WCPL is a member of the library consortium, Holston Associated Library (HAL), which uses Innovative Interface’s Sierra ILS.
The Washington County Public Library is located in the highlands of Southwest Virginia with ready access to outdoor and cultural activities and direct access to interstate highways. The main library is located in the historic town of Abingdon, population, 9,000. Abingdon is home to a nationally-known equity theatre. USA Today ranks Abingdon as one of the Best Art Towns and Best Places to Retire. WCPL has a strong commitment to customer service and is dedicated to meeting the needs of a culturally diverse population.
- Supervises one full-time and one part-time technical services staff members
- Oversees and directs acquisitions; works with vendors to maintain accounts, orders and processing instructions
- Supervises all copy cataloging, serials operations and physical material processing
- Produces original cataloging and provides classification when needed
- Performs authority work and database maintenance on an ongoing basis
- Maintains fund accounting for material budgets and processes invoices
- Prepares financial, statistical and special reports as requested, collects and analyzes pertinent data
- Assumes an active role in the systems administrative work related to the operation of the shared ILS
- Serves on the collection development team; participates in weeding activities
- Conducts an inventory of the library’s collection as assigned
- Coordinates and trains staff and student assistants in functions related to technical services
- Performs public services tasks including reference and readers advisory
- MLIS, MLS or MIS from an ALA accredited institution
- Thorough knowledge of current library principles and practices for cataloging, acquisitions, serials and authority control
- Familiarity with current and developing technologies in libraries
- Ability to manage and supervise multiple staff and projects effectively
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with a proven ability to establish rapport with coworkers, the public and vendors
- Technical service experience in a public library
- Supervisory experience
Salary Range: $36,888 to $41,334 plus an excellent benefit package
To Apply: Submit letter of application and resume to Dianne Lester, firstname.lastname@example.org.