Job and Career Help
Virginia Workforce Connection is your gateway to employment and unemployment services.
Visit the Dashboard for the Virginia Workforce Connection to review services such as:
- Career Explorer
- Job Search
- Learning Center
- Resume Builder
- Job Skills Assessment
Check out Job Search to view available job openings in your area.
- Click Veterans Services for information about employment, disabled resources, veterans organizations, Veterans Affairs (VA) services, and more.
- Check out the Helmets to Hardhats page for assistance finding a job as you transition out of the military.
Where do I go to file for unemployment for the first time?
- Individuals filing for Unemployment Insurance (UI) can file:
- ONLINE: on the Virginia Workforce Connection website
- BY PHONE: Call 1-866-832-2363 Monday through Friday between 8:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. This number is just for new claims.
How will the COVID-19 virus affect my unemployment?
Go to The American Rescue Plan and the Unemployment Insurance Program for information.
How do I file for unemployment?
Before you complete your claim, you’ll need to have the following information with you:
- Your Social Security Number (SSN)
- Your employer’s name, address, telephone number and dates of all employment within the last 18 months
- If you belong to a union, the name and local number of your union hall
- Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen
- How you’d like to receive your payment
- VA Debit Card
- Bank Account Direct Deposit. You’ll need the Routing number (the first 9 digits at the bottom of your checks) and the Account number (the second set of digits at the bottom of your checks)
How long will this process take?
Filing for UI will take approximately 45-60 minutes. If filing via phone, call times are longer than usual due to large numbers of people filing.