Code of Conduct Policy
The Washington County Public Library offers a welcoming and comfortable environment for everyone. The Library Board of Trustees has established the Library Code of Conduct to protect the rights of library users and staff and to assure a safe space conducive to the effective use of library resources and facilities.
Irresponsible use of the library and grounds including but not limited to the following:
- Disorderly, disruptive, or threatening behavior, including cursing and making obscene gestures
- Cellular phone and other audio devices must be used with consideration for others. Ringers must be turned off and conversations must not be disruptive to others
- Covered drinks are permitted. Dry snacks such as candy, cookies, chips, (e.g., food generally dispensed in vending machines are allowed), but hot food are prohibited except as approved during the application process for library meeting rooms
- Loitering outside the library, at staff and/or user work stations, inside library departments and all common areas with no appropriate intent or purpose in plain evidence, most especially in the Children’s Departments at all Library locations
- Solicitation of the public or staff in library facilities or on library property
- Illegal activity including stealing, damaging or altering any library property
- Presence in the library or on the library grounds while under the influence of any intoxicant, narcotic or similar substance
- Smoking or other use of tobacco products
- Unacceptable personal hygiene that offends or creates a nuisance to users and staff
- Using restroom facilities for inappropriate purposes, including bathing or laundry
- Failure to adequately supervise children; leaving children under the age of 10 unattended
- Acts of sexual misconduct, including but not limited to indecent exposure; offensive touching; sexual harassment; displaying pornography; stalking or staring; any conduct that alarms, harasses or intimidates another user or staff
- Inadequate attire; shirts and shoes must be worn
- Possession of a weapon, except as permitted by law, or exhibiting any item in a threatening manner
- Bringing animals into the building except properly identified service animals or animals used in library program
- Photographing or recording users of the library without their permission and permission of the library staff
- Performing any illegal act or conduct in violation of federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation, including the Library’s Computer Use Policy
The library is not responsible for unattended items. Unattended possessions are subject to search and disposal at the discretion of library staff. Personal possessions must be contained in an area that does not impede others.
Library staff may require identification, including name, address and telephone number, if needed to provide services.
All persons are welcome in the library. In order to ensure safety and security and provide a suitable environment for library use, the following rules have been approved by the Library Board of Trustees. Failure to comply with any of these guidelines may result in suspension of library privileges.
APPROVED BY THE WASHINGTON COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES ON March 25, 1996