Damascus Meeting Room Policy
As a service to the Damascus community, it is the policy of the Washington County Public Library System to allow non-profit groups and organizations the use of Library meeting rooms when those facilities are not needed for activities sponsored in whole or in part by the Library, and when such use is not disruptive to the programs and activities of the Library.
In accordance with the Library Bill of Rights, the Library will make the rooms available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of the groups requesting their use.
Permission to use a meeting room does not imply Library endorsement of that event or the beliefs, viewpoints, policies, or affiliation of its sponsors.
The Library reserves the right to revoke permission for the use of any meeting space.
Each organizations requesting use of a meeting room must observe the following rules:
- All meetings, programs and exhibits shall be open to the general public.
- There will be no fee for the use of the meeting room, but a contribution to the Library, the Friends of the Library, or the Library Foundation will be accepted.
- Meeting rooms are not available for use before 8:30 A.M. or after 10 P.M.
- Use of the meeting room for private social events is not permitted.
- Meeting rooms are not available for commercial purposes, fund raising or sale of items. No products of companies may be sold or their products endorsed. Exceptions are: a. Programs or sales conducted by the Friends of the Library of which the proceeds or a percent thereof will go to the direct benefit of the Library (for example, used book sales and the sale of books in conjunction with an author’s appearance);
b. Sale of material directly related to Library-sponsored programs that have had prior approval of the Library Director.
- Groups may not charge an admission fee, take up a collection, or sell products, with the exception of paid registration fees for conferences or classes provided by the Library or the Town of Damascus.
- Neither the name nor address of the Library may be used as the official address or headquarters of an organization.
- All publicity must carry the name of the organization sponsoring the meeting. The Library may not be identified as a sponsor. No program in the Library may be broadcast without permission of the Library Director.
- The group using the room is responsible for setting it up, cleaning and removing all trash, and returning the room to its previous condition. The group must pay for any damage to the premises or equipment as a result of group use.
- Light refreshment may be served with permission. The intention to serve food must be indicated on the application.
- When available, selected items of audio-visual equipment are available free of charge. Organizations must make their own arrangement for someone to operate any equipment.
- No smoking is permitted in the meeting rooms.
- No unauthorized weapons, illegal substances, or alcoholic beverages may be carried into the Library.
- The Library does not assume any responsibility for private property used on the premises.
- Groups using the meeting rooms shall comply with the posted fire code capacity limit.
- Adults must supervise children at all times. Groups of minors will be allowed to use the meeting room only if a responsible adult signs the application form and remains in attendance during the use of the room. The adult who signs the application will be responsible for any damages that might occur.
- Programs and exhibits may not disrupt the normal use of the Library by others. Music and noise must be kept to a reasonable level.
- The Library Director may implement the foregoing policy with procedures as required.
Any individual or organization not complying with the above regulations may be denied the use of the Library meeting rooms in the future. In the case of any disputes over use of meeting rooms, the Library Board will be the final authority in granting or refusing permission for use of the meeting room facilities.
The Library Director, upon written request, will consider exceptions to these regulations.
The Library reserves the right to revoke permission to use the meeting room if needed by the Library. If possible, at least 24 hours notice is given to the group if cancelled.
No group will be allowed to use the Damascus branch meeting room more than once each week. All regular users must re-register by January 1 of each year.
An application form, signed by an authorized representative of the group, must be submitted to the Library at least one week in advance for use of the meeting room. Application forms may be picked up at the Library during library hours.
The Branch Manager or Library Director will review the application, determine approval or rejection, confirm the availability of the room, and arrange for requested equipment.
Groups canceling their room reservation are required to give three days advance notice.
If the meeting room is to be used when the Library is not open, the key to the meeting room must be picked up in the library from a staff member and returned to the library as designated.